Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cuisine

I’m really into food. Lately I was thinking about the top world cuisines in order. I couldn’t include Austrian/German foods although many of my friends would; it’s just too meat-based for my liking :) Same with American food; for one thing American food is difficult to define, for another it tends to revolve around meat.
In my opinion, it would be:
1. Thai
2. Mexican
3. Italian
4. Indian
5. Japanese
6. Chinese
7. Vietnamese
8. Moroccan
9. Turkish
10. Russian
Very difficult to order, and in fact my list will probably evolve over time as I experience more food around the world. This list also exposes my dislike of Middle Eastern food. Anyone else care to make a top 10 list? I found another list here: http://www.hillmanwonders.com/top_10/top_10_travel.htm
Chinese
French
Italian
Indian
Japanese
Moroccan
Spanish
Thai
Turkish
Indonesian
Here are some photos of Indian food:  P1020908
There’s a lot of Chinese influence here
P1020995
The food can be pretty oily. Surprisingly, the top vegetable in the food here is peas. Those have never been a staple for me before. Something called paneer which is similar to cottage cheese is pretty popular.
P1030005
Eating at Gypsy Restaurant
P1030071
Mangos are the most popular fruit here
P1030125

Helping make dinner with Arnab and Suni on Easter Sunday
P1030129
The key to Indian food…spices! Cinnamon, cardamon, cloves, peppercorn. You buy them at the market wrapped in newspaper
P1030128 Ghee is a special kind of butter used in cooking. No handles on the pan, just use those clamper things to hold it still

P1030127
That game is called Ludo and it’s like Sorry
P1030130
Chopping up onions, tomatoes, garlic, and ginger
P1030133
Marinating the chicken
P1030132
Saffron and cream will be part of the sauce
P1030138
Typical Bengali desserts: Rasgullah, a type of syrupy ball, and mishti doi (my favorite!), a sweet sort of cottage cheese
CIMG7439 We frequently go to the Salt Lake City Center mall for dinner. Fast food never tasted this good! For two bucks you can get a full combo like this.
CIMG7443
The bread poofs up like this after getting heated on a special kind of stove I think
CIMG7444
This actually did not taste that good, it was very salty and oniony and the textures were just a little too crazy, even for me
I have not gotten sick yet here, it’s a kind of minor miracle :)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger